Kepfram & Ellie's Travel Journal

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Week 1: Hanoi, Vietnam

Our plan for Hanoi was to do a couple logistical things, eat a few tasty things, then head north to where it's cooler. But the best laid plans don't tend to work out...

Ellie lost a dental filling on the plane. [midway through our 27 hour 3 leg journey in a sleepless haze…] She thought she bit down on a walnut shell in an otherwise unremarkable brownie. Thankfully we found a dental spa near the hotel.

Ellie & Kepfram in Hanoi
The rest of the week went okay. She fixed her tooth, we did a little sightseeing: Hoa Lo Prison (thanks for the suggestion Ahsaan!), walked around the Old Quarter, & ate some foods. Most meals were remarkable one way or another.
Ellie reconnected with her egg coffee, I drank Vietnamese coffee, tried coconut coffee (delicious), iced jasmine green tea (new fav), &
longan iced tea (sweet, but yummy). Most of the beverages were strong brews balanced with something sweet or creamy which I really liked.
We ate pho (obvs), Cha ca La Vong: grilled turmeric fish with herbs & greens; a weak veggie bahn mi that prompted me to learn about Vietnamese fermented tofu so I could make a sandwich I'd like more. I'm not sure if I'm happy or mad about having to develop a tofu recipe...

Kepfram, 3:19 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment